Crime - Sacto 911

Two dogs, bird die in Arden Arcade house fire

Two dogs and a bird died Wednesday morning in an Arden Arcade-area house fire caused by unattended cooking, fire officials said.

Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews were dispatched about 9:30 a.m. to a kitchen fire in at a home in the 2100 block of Red Robin Lane. Strong winds blowing through windows quickly spread the fire to the rest of the small house, and the home was well-involved in fire when crews arrived, according to a Fire District news release.

The fire was contained to the house where it started, with minimal charring to the exterior of an adjacent residence, fire officials said. Firefighters pulled two dogs and a bird out of the fire and attempted to resuscitate them, but the animals did not survive.

Total damage to the residence was estimated at $50,000.

Four fire engines, two trucks, two medics and two battalion chiefs responded to the fire.

Fire officials said cooking remains the No. 1 cause of home fires, resulting in more injuries than any other type of fire. They urge people to never leave food cooking on the stove unattended, even for a short time. In the event of a small grease fire, leave the pan where it is, turn off the heat and put a lid on it. If unable to place a lid on the pan, use a fire extinguisher or call 911.

Cathy Locke: 916-321-5287, @lockecathy

  Comments