Fredrick Marshall bowed his head when a judge mentioned June 9, 2016 – the night he allegedly shot his friend.
Marshall appeared in Sacramento Superior Court on Monday to face charges he shot and killed 19-year-old Deston Garrett, a former Sacramento Charter High School football player mourned by 1,000 friends and relatives last week. Marshall’s arraignment was continued to July 1 and he did not enter a plea.
Garrett died two days after he was allegedly shot in his Oak Park home by Marshall after the two got into an argument over music Garrett was playing. Garrett’s family said Monday the song that sparked the argument was a mix created by the young football player he had uploaded to YouTube.
The 23-year-old Marshall is facing voluntary manslaughter charges and is being held on $1 million bail. Members of his family declined to comment outside the courtroom and his attorney also declined comment.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Marshall stood motionless with his hands clasped behind his back as Sacramento Superior Court Judge Jack Sapunor read the charges against him, moving only to confirm his name and when the date of his alleged crime was mentioned.
Marshall has been friends with Garrett’s older brothers for years and also played football for Sacramento High. He often slept over at the Garrett home.
Outside the court building, Jay Garrett – the victim’s father – said the sight of Marshall made him want to “jump up.” But, like other members of Garrett’s family who attended the brief court hearing, he remained still.
“I just want justice for my son,” Jay Garrett said. “I feel for him (Marshall) because I know he made a big mistake and now he’s going to have to pay for it.”
Garrett said one of Marshall’s uncles approached him before the court hearing and expressed his condolences.
As Marshall was appearing in court, state Sen. Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, adjourned the Senate in Garrett’s memory. Garrett was scheduled to graduate from high school on June 13 and has been described as an energetic, well-liked young man who had aspirations of playing football in college.
“It’s a tragedy for not only the family, but also the community that we’ve lost another young man with tremendous potential,” Pan said in an interview. “We all mourn his loss and we all need to remember that we’re losing real people.”
Five young people between the ages of 15 and 19 have been the victims of homicide in Sacramento County this year.