Education

Folsom student confirmed to have bacterial meningitis

A closeup view of a microscope taking a look at a slide meningitis causing fungus Exserohilum rostratum at the Mycotic lab at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Oct. 12, 2012 in Atlanta. Meningitis is a swelling of the protective membranes of the spinal cord and brain caused by an infection. Symptoms include nausea, fever, stiff neck, vomiting and sensitivity to light. The CDC’s website says the illness is “very serious and can be deadly.” The bacteria is spread through airborne droplets.
A closeup view of a microscope taking a look at a slide meningitis causing fungus Exserohilum rostratum at the Mycotic lab at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Oct. 12, 2012 in Atlanta. Meningitis is a swelling of the protective membranes of the spinal cord and brain caused by an infection. Symptoms include nausea, fever, stiff neck, vomiting and sensitivity to light. The CDC’s website says the illness is “very serious and can be deadly.” The bacteria is spread through airborne droplets. AP

A student at Vista del Lago High School in Folsom was confirmed Saturday to have been infected with bacterial meningitis and is being treated at an undisclosed hospital, according to the Sacramento County Health and Human Services department.

The unidentified student was isolated Friday, said department spokeswoman Laura McCasland. The school notified parents of other students about the case Saturday.

Daniel Thigpen, a spokesman for the Folsom Cordova Unified School District, said the high school was working closely with county public health officials to give antibiotics to other students who may have been exposed to the bacteria.

Meningitis is a swelling of the protective membranes of the spinal cord and brain caused by an infection, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Symptoms include nausea, fever, stiff neck, vomiting and sensitivity to light. The CDC’s website says the illness is “very serious and can be deadly.” The bacteria is spread through airborne droplets.

In an email to students’ families, Vista del Lago Principal John Dixon said public health officials were encouraging parents to check students’ immunization records and prevent them from sharing water bottles and food. The email said there were no other reports of students believed to have become infected.

Related stories from Sacramento Bee

  Comments