The former city employee who accused Sacramento Councilman Allen Warren of sexual harassment has withdrawn her claim, saying in a statement Thursday she “regrets any negative impact her allegations may have had on Councilmember Warren or the city.”
Delia Chacon, a former aide in Warren’s office, filed a claim with the city in July alleging that Warren threatened to fire her if she ended their sexual relationship. The claim said Warren perpetrated an atmosphere of “quid pro quo sexual harassment” and said he used his supervisory role over Chacon to “repeatedly coerce her into submission to his repeated sexual requests.”
Chacon said in a statement released by attorney Ralph Lee she “has withdrawn all of her claims” and “hopes that all parties may peacefully and positively move forward with their lives, families, and other endeavors.” Lee did not respond to a question asking whether there was a financial settlement between Chacon and Warren.
Warren previously said the claim was false and that he cooperated with a weeks-long investigation into the allegation.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“The city conducted a thorough investigation, with which I cooperated fully,” Warren said in a statement released Thursday. “The city rejected the claim, and the allegations have now been fully withdrawn. I can appreciate, and in fact share, the frustration of city residents that for the reasons stated, the results of the investigation have not been made public.
“With today’s actions, we may all move forward to fully focus on the issues facing District 2 and the city. In this spirit, and out of respect for those involved, I do not intend to make any further statements about this matter.”
Warren has represented North Sacramento on the City Council since 2012. He is up for re-election in June but has not said whether he plans to seek another term, which he is required to do by mid-March.
City Attorney James Sanchez said Thursday his office deems the “matter concluded.”
“The city has received a dismissal of the claim against council member Warren and the city,” Sanchez said in a text message. “That letter withdraws all her claims and speaks to all the issues presented in the claim. (The) city has taken the necessary due diligence steps, including conducting an investigation with the cooperation of the council member.”
The City Attorney’s Office effectively denied the claim last year after failing to determine its veracity within a required 45-day window. However, the office hired two outside law firms to further investigate Chacon’s allegations beyond that deadline. Those firms filed their findings with the city on Dec. 29, but the City Attorney’s Office has refused to release or discuss the results.
The cost of the work conducted by those two law firms was $48,485 as of Jan. 24, though city officials said that tab could increase based on additional work one firm did in December.
In denying a Sacramento Bee request to release the investigation’s findings, the City Attorney’s Office said the files were exempt from the state’s public records laws for several reasons: because the public interest was better served by not disclosing the documents; the records were “generated in anticipation of litigation”; they are personnel records; and they are protected by attorney-client privilege.
Warren, a developer, grew up in Del Paso Heights and played football at Grant High School. He defeated Rob Kerth in a tight, expensive 2012 race, vowing to represent a part of the city that often feels overlooked. He is married and has three children.
Ryan Lillis: 916-321-1085, @Ryan_Lillis