Kevin Johnson's history of sexual misconduct allegations
The HBO series “Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel” will air a segment Tuesday night on allegations of sexual misconduct against Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson.
HBO released a news release Monday stating that the show, airing at 10 p.m., will include interviews with a “string of accusers who appear on television for the first time.” The segment on Johnson will take up one-third of the show.
A Twitter account attributed to Johnson accuser Mandi Koba tweeted Monday morning that “Tomorrow night (Real Sports) will tell the true story of my abuse by #kevinjohnson. It’s been a long road, but I’m proud of where I am.”
The Sacramento Bee has reported extensively over the years on Koba’s allegations, which stem from events that happened in 1996, when she was 16 and Johnson played for the Phoenix Suns. More recently, they have become a focus of attention for the national media.
Koba told sports website Deadspin in September that she wanted to tell her story because she felt like she was protecting Johnson by keeping quiet. Twenty years ago, she told Phoenix police that Johnson disrobed in her presence in his home, touched her inappropriately and showered with her.
No charges were filed against Johnson, and he denied the allegations. In 1997, he and Koba signed a draft confidential settlement agreement worth $230,000.
Another allegation of sexual abuse of a 17-year-old student at Sacramento High School surfaced during Johnson’s first campaign for mayor in 2008. More recently, a former aide to Sacramento City Manager John Shirey accused Johnson of sexual harassment last year. Neither allegation resulted in charges against Johnson.
The mayor’s office did not comment on Monday. Johnson announced in October that he would not seek a third term as Sacramento mayor. He has said past allegations of sexual misconduct did not play a role in his decision.