Transportation

2 dead in big rig crash that shut down northbound Highway 99 in Galt, CHP says

Both lanes of northbound Highway 99 were closed for about four hours Tuesday morning near Galt following a crash involving a pickup truck and multiple tractor-trailers that left two people dead, according to the California Highway Patrol.

A collision involving the pickup and three big rigs occurred about 7 a.m. north of Ayers Lane in south Sacramento County, according to the CHP incident log. Northbound lanes was closed to traffic until reopening just before 11 a.m.

Two fatalities have been confirmed, CHP Valley Division spokesman Officer Mike Harris said.

The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office has identified as 20-year-old Charlie Mosqueda and 33-year-old Antonio Mosqueda, both Galt.

The CHP, Caltrans, the Galt Police Department and fire personnel responded to the scene.

Only local news: Crime, weather, traffic and more

Stay on top of Sacramento-area crime and local news in the Local News & Crime Newsletter – sent straight to your inbox, Monday through Saturday. Sign up now


This story was originally published January 28, 2020 at 7:32 AM.

Michael McGough
The Sacramento Bee
Michael McGough is a sports and local editor for The Sacramento Bee. He previously covered breaking news and COVID-19 for The Bee, which he joined in 2016. He is a Sacramento native and graduate of Sacramento State. 
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW