World

Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases, bringing total to five

Workers stand guard at the gate of the Kibuli Muslim Hospital where a Congolese man died of Ebola Bundibugyo virus in Kibuli suburb of Kampala, Uganda May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Abubaker Lubowa
Workers stand guard at the gate of the Kibuli Muslim Hospital where a Congolese man died of Ebola Bundibugyo virus in Kibuli suburb of Kampala, Uganda May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Abubaker Lubowa Reuters

Uganda said on Saturday that three new Ebola cases had been confirmed there, taking the total of confirmed cases to five.

The new cases include a Ugandan driver who transported the country's first confirmed case as well as a health worker who was exposed to the virus while taking care of the same person, the Health Ministry said in a statement.

A Congolese woman was the third new case.

(Reporting by Shubham Kalia in Bengaluru; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

Copyright Reuters or USA Today Network via Reuters Connect.

This story was originally published May 23, 2026 at 1:49 AM.

Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW