Politics & Government

California Department of Consumer Affairs suffers malware attack

The Department of Consumer Affairs.
The Department of Consumer Affairs. Sacramento Bee file photo, 2008

The California Department of Consumer Affairs suffered a malware attack Wednesday morning, affecting 50 workstations and disrupting computer networks. Only one of the 37 bureaus and boards within the department were affected in the malware strike according to officials.

Veronica Harms, the department’s deputy director, said in an email that the malware is known to the department and that the incident is under investigation.

The department’s entire network was shut down as soon as the malware was noticed, but since the department uses different network systems to prevent viruses spreading, consumers were still able to visit its website.

Harms said the department is still investigating whether any consumer data had been breached.

The Bee’s David A. Bustamante contributed to this report.

This story was originally published December 21, 2018 at 1:57 PM.

Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW