Capitol Alert

Gavin Newsom heads to D.C. to meet with Trump officials about wildfire disaster aid

President Donald Trump, right, and Gov. Gavin Newsom speak to the media upon arrival at Los Angeles International Airport in Los Angeles on Friday, Jan. 24, 2025.
President Donald Trump, right, and Gov. Gavin Newsom speak to the media upon arrival at Los Angeles International Airport in Los Angeles on Friday, Jan. 24, 2025. AFP/Getty via TNS

Gov. Gavin Newsom will meet with federal officials this week, aiming to secure federal disaster relief money after a series of wildfires devastated the Los Angeles area.

Newsom’s office said Tuesday the governor had left for Washington, D.C., where he is expected to meet Wednesday with members of President Donald Trump’s administration and members of Congress. Politico reported he will also meet with Trump, but a spokesperson for Newsom declined to confirm, saying his schedule had not been finalized.

“The governor’s trip is focused on securing critical disaster aid for the survivors of the Los Angeles fires and ensure impacted families who lost their homes and livelihoods have the support they need to rebuild and recover,” his office said in a statement.

Newsom and Trump, longtime political foes, previously sparred over whether the federal government would reimburse the state for wildfire aid. Trump, who called his liberal opponent “Newscum,” blamed the governor for the blazes and suggested that he would only approve aid if California overhauled its water and immigration policies.

Their relationship has warmed in recent days after the two embraced on the tarmac after Trump landed in Los Angeles to meet with local officials and survey the wildfire damage, which claimed 28 lives and destroyed thousands of homes.

The governor has taken a lower profile in recent days than his legislative counterparts, who passed two bills setting aside $50 million for future litigation with the White House after Newsom called a special legislative session.

Assembly Speaker Robert Rivas opened that chamber’s hearing declaring that the legislative body did “not trust Donald Trump.”

The governor has not yet signed the bills, which the Legislature approved Monday along party line votes.

This story was originally published February 4, 2025 at 1:31 PM.

Lia Russell
The Sacramento Bee
Lia Russell covers California’s governor for The Sacramento Bee’s Capitol Bureau. Originally from San Francisco, Lia previously worked for The Baltimore Sun and the Bangor Daily News in Maine.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW