Weather News

Update: Portion of Santa Cruz pier collapses in winter storm, 3 rescued. See the video

As large waves produced by a winter storm pummeled the California coast Monday, a portion of the Santa Cruz pier collapsed and floated away, and three people were plunged into the ocean.

Santa Cruz fire and police crews at the scene reported that lifeguards rescued two victims, and the third person who fell into the water saved himself.

The Santa Cruz Fire Department said the municipal wharf is closed until further notice. There are no reports of significant injuries.

The collapse happened around 12:44 p.m. at the end of the pier, at a section where a storm-damaged restaurant named The Dolphin once stood. The restaurant was closed in December 2023 and later demolished. The area had been closed to the public since January 2024, but was undergoing construction. The three people who fell into the water were construction workers. A restroom at the site also went down into the sea.

With a high surf advisory in effect and large amounts of debris in the water, including potentially hazardous materials from the collapse, Main Beach and Cowell Beach are closed, the fire department reported.

“Due to life-threatening ocean conditions, please avoid all coastal areas, including overlook areas such as rocks, jetties, or cliffs,” the fire department wrote on social media. “Dangerous and powerful waves can sweep across entire beaches unexpectedly. Do not enter the water, and do not cross flooded streets. Conditions will remain dangerous through noon on Tuesday, Dec. 24.”

National Weather Service also warned beachgoers to stay away from the ocean.

“Look at the ominous wave action on the horizon,” National Weather Service Bay Area posted on X. “You are risking your life, and those of the people that would need to try and save you by getting in or too close to the water.”

On Monday, waves were reaching as high as 35 feet, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. Waves reached up to 35 feet.

Eyewitnesses shared videos and photos of the scene. Roger Bernstein took footage from the shore.

“The video is ... wharf debris floating into the bay and getting pummeled by the surf,” he told the Sacramento Bee in a text.

Two years ago, a huge storm damaged the iconic pier at Seacliff State Beach in nearby Aptos. That historic wharf was later demolished.

Gov. Gavin Newsom was briefed on the collapse and the California Office of Emergency Services was coordinating support with local officials.

A collapsed section of the Santa Cruz pier floats in the ocean on Dec. 23, 2024.
A collapsed section of the Santa Cruz pier floats in the ocean on Dec. 23, 2024. Santa Cruz Fire Department
The Santa Cruz wharf collapses in a storm on Dec. 23, 2024.
The Santa Cruz wharf collapses in a storm on Dec. 23, 2024. Santa Cruz Fire Department

This story was originally published December 23, 2024 at 2:44 PM.

David Caraccio
The Sacramento Bee
David Caraccio is a video producer for The Sacramento Bee who was born and raised in Sacramento. He is a graduate of San Diego State University and a longtime journalist who has worked for newspapers as a reporter, editor, page designer and digital content producer.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW