Howard Chan needs to back off the city manager job. There’s a new boss in Sacramento | Opinion
Former Sacramento City Manager Howard Chan took to social media Tuesday night to announce that he was returning to City Hall to be a “special advisor” to his temporary successor, long-time city staffer Leyne Milstein.
Yet nobody at City Hall would confirm such a title or role for Chan. Multiple city council sources said they were caught flat-footed by the announcement.
“Nothing about him being a special advisor has been decreed by City Hall or the mayor,” Andrew Acosta, a spokesman for Mayor Kevin McCarty, told The Bee. “There’s been no discussion about his role.”
The official response from the city was similar. “The only title Howard Chan has officially with the city is that of assistant city manager,” said a city spokesperson. “His role is currently being defined.”
Why was Chan making an announcement that should have been made by Milstein, the acting city manager of Sacramento?
The ambiguity, to the extent there is any, is a vestige of Chan’s now-lapsed employment contract.
In one of the many contract enhancements for Chan during his eight-year run as city manager, the city council granted Chan a full year’s pay at the assistant city manager level ($340,812.60) should he ever resign as the top manager.
Months of precious city time and energy last year were wasted on Chan’s repeated efforts to extend his contract for another year, which was set to expire at the end of 2024. McCarty and the new council in December said no, and Chan promptly resigned.
There is nothing in his contract that gives Chan authority to change his title or his job duties. To announce any such thing, be it on social media or otherwise, is a stunningly arrogant lapse of judgment and places City Hall in the awkward position of issuing a denial.
Chan’s contract provides only that he is to be paid. With this announcement, Chan seems yet again too accustomed to getting his way: He persuaded the council to make him the highest-paid city manager in California and got as much as 64 weeks of vacation in a single year.
He appears to be struggling with his new reality: His power is gone.
“This move wasn’t surprising,” said District 8 Councilmember Mai Vang. “I still do believe that we can chart a new way forward for our city if we lean into courageous actions. I’m looking forward to working with our new mayor and city council to find a permanent city manager.”
Chan’s special advisory status is “title inflation,” said District 4 Councilmember Phil Pluckebaum, known for his frequent weekend bicycle rides with Chan, Milstein and others. “His title is assistant city manager.”
“Having him near at hand to answer those questions is immensely valuable,” Pluckebaum added.
Chan must know that it is not for the subordinate to first toot his own horn.
But that’s precisely what Chan did Tuesday night: “I’m happy to share that I’m starting a new position as special advisor to the city manager at the City of Sacramento!”
This should be Milstein’s moment in the sun. She is the first woman to solely hold the reins as city manager in Sacramento. She’s been budget manager, finance director and assistant city manager, and she should have had the political decks cleared for her to make her own imprint on this council and this city.
But her predecessor has muddied the path in every way possible. Chan deeply divided this council, and Milstein now must unify it as the city faces difficult budget choices in the months ahead.
Chan is not helping Milstein, his friend. He should let her manage Sacramento city government, provide help if asked and stop acting as if he is still in charge.
BEHIND THE STORY
MOREWhat are editorials, and who writes them?
Editorials represent the collective opinion of The Sacramento Bee Editorial Board.
They do not reflect the individual opinions of board members or the views of Bee reporters in the news section. Bee reporters do not participate in editorial board deliberations or weigh in on board decisions. The same rules apply to our sister publications, The Modesto Bee, Fresno Bee, Merced Sun-Star and San Luis Obispo Tribune.
In Sacramento, our board includes Bee Executive Editor Colleen McCain Nelson, McClatchy California Opinion Editor Marcos Breton, opinion writers Robin Epley, Tom Philp, LeBron Antonio Hill and op-ed editor Hannah Holzer.
In Fresno and Merced, the board includes Central Valley Executive Editor Don Blount, Senior Editor Christopher Kirkpatrick, Opinion Editor Juan Esparza Loera, and opinion writer Tad Weber.
In Modesto, the board includes Senior Editor Carlos Virgen and in San Luis Obispo, it includes Opinion Editor Stephanie Finucane.
We base our opinions on reporting by our colleagues in the news section, and our own reporting and interviews. Our members attend public meetings, call people and follow-up on story ideas from readers just as news reporters do. Unlike objective reporters, we share our judgments and state clearly what we think should happen based on our knowledge.
Read more by clicking the arrow in the upper right.
Tell us what you think
You may or may not agree with our perspective. We believe disagreement is healthy and necessary for a functioning democracy. If you would like to share your own views on events important to the Sacramento region, you may write a letter to the editor (150 words or less) using this form, or email an op-ed (650-750 words) to opinion@sacbee.com. Due to a high volume of submissions, we are not able to publish everything we receive.
Support The Sacramento Bee
These conversations are important for our community. Keep the conversation going by supporting The Sacramento Bee. Subscribe here.
This story was originally published January 16, 2025 at 5:00 AM.