Five lessons from last week:
▪ Giants pitcher Madison Bumgarner is just fine.
▪ The 49ers are coping with the loss of key players by studying ways to bring more shade to Levi’s Stadium.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
▪ NBA players can acquire nicknames with the help of wayward closed captioning.
▪ Kevin Durant’s pain may be the Warriors’ gain.
▪ If Kentucky had the luck of the Irish, it would not be in the Final Four.
– Jeff Caraska
ON THIS DATE
1973: Ken Norton records an upset by winning a 12-round split decision over Muhammad Ali for the North American Boxing Federation heavyweight title. Norton, a 5-1 underdog, breaks Ali’s jaw in the first round.
1975: UCLA beats Kentucky 92-85 for its 10th NCAA men’s basketball title under coach John Wooden, who announced his retirement two days earlier.
1986: Freshman Pervis Ellison makes two free throws with 27 seconds left to seal Louisville’s 72-69 victory over Duke for the NCAA championship.
The Associated Press