Sports

Republic FC offers first look at new Sacramento stadium renderings and asks fans to weigh in

Sacramento Republic FC has released the first rendering of its proposed new stadium in the downtown Railyards.

The capital region’s professional soccer team said in a news release Tuesday it’s making “significant progress” towards opening in 2027 and is expecting to break ground on the stadium later this year.

After years of discussion surrounding a new stadium, the plan was made public last November when the club announced Native American tribe Wilton Rancheria took a controlling stake in the club and would be the primary financier the new venue. The stadium is expected to seat 12,000 fans and be the central piece to a $321 million project that includes an entertainment district and concert venue.

Former mayor Darrell Steinberg, who was part of the announcement weeks before leaving office, said “this is the single biggest boost to our downtown, and the single biggest news for our downtown, since we saved the Kings and built the Golden 1 Center.”

Sacramento Republic FC on Tuesday released the latest updated rendering for the team’s planned new soccer stadium at the Railyards. Republic FC officials say it is expected to open in 2027.
Sacramento Republic FC on Tuesday released the latest updated rendering for the team’s planned new soccer stadium at the Railyards. Republic FC officials say it is expected to open in 2027. Manica via Sacramento Republic FC

Republic FC is asking fans to offer their input on what they want to see in the new stadium by participating in a survey on the team’s website.

“Creating a venue that reflects the identity of the region, and helps meet the needs of fans and our community is incredibly important to the club,” Republic FC President and General Manager Todd Dunivant said in a statement. “Our community of passionate fans and supporters, along with the guests that proudly cheer for Sacramento, have made our current home a special place to play. Through this survey and additional opportunities to share their input, our fans will help bring that energy, excitement and intensity to our new downtown home.”

The community survey will be open through February and allow participants to give their opinions on seating, food and beverage and hospitality. The team also said it plans to host focus groups and forums that can be signed up for after completing the survey.

This story was originally published February 18, 2025 at 3:06 PM.

Chris Biderman
The Sacramento Bee
Chris Biderman covers sports and local news for The Sacramento Bee since joining in August 2018 to cover the San Francisco 49ers. He previously spent time with the Associated Press and USA Today Sports Media Group, and has been published in the San Francisco Chronicle, The Athletic and on MLB.com. The Santa Rosa native graduated with a degree in journalism from the Ohio State University.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Sacramento sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Sacramento area sports - only $30 for 1 year

VIEW OFFER