Sam Long took a no-hitter into the eighth inning, and Sutter McLoughlin tied the Western Athletic Conference record with his 29th career save as host Sacramento State beat New Mexico State 1-0 Saturday, the Hornets reported.
Long’s no-hit bid ended when Daniel Kennon doubled with one out in the eighth. Kennon reached third on a wild pitch with two outs, but Long retired Quinnton Mack on a pop-up to end the threat.
Long (5-0) tied his career high with seven strikeouts and walked none.
McLoughlin retired the side in order, striking out two, to collect his third save this season.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
The Hornets (15-10, 5-0) had nine hits but stranded nine runners. They scored in the fourth when Dane Fujinaka’s fielder’s choice drove in Scotty Burcham, who led off the inning with a walk.
The Aggies (4-19-1, 1-3-1) lost their third consecutive game.
▪ Austin March hit a walk-off single with one out and the bases loaded in the 11th, giving UC Davis a come-from-behind 9-8 win over UC Riverside, the Aggies reported.
UC Davis (16-7-1, 2-0 Big West Conference) extended its winning streak to five games, its longest since a six-game run April 29-May 7, 2011.
The Highlanders (10-17, 0-2) led 7-0 after 21/2 innings. The Aggies came back behind March, who went 4 for 5 with three RBIs.
Hornets sweep in softball
▪ Sasha Margulies had five hits and seven RBIs as host Sac State swept a softball doubleheader against Montana, the Hornets reported.
Sac State won the opener 9-8 on Paige Castro’s squeeze bunt in the 11th inning. The Hornets (15-17, 5-0 Big Sky Conference) won the nightcap 9-1 behind Margulies’ five RBIs, including a grand slam.
The Grizzlies (5-24, 1-4) committed five errors in the two games, leading to eight unearned runs.
▪ UC Davis opened Big West Conference play by splitting a doubleheader with host Long Beach State, the Aggies reported.
The 49ers (14-19, 1-1) won the opener 1-0 on Lauren Lombardi’s walk-off single in the seventh. UC Davis (12-15, 1-1) won the nightcap 8-3 as Ashley Lotoszynski homered and drove in two runs.
▪ The UC Davis men’s golf team placed ninth in the 24-team field of The Goodwin at Stanford, the Aggies reported. UC Davis shot 13 over in the third and final round and finished at 5 over par . Alabama-Birmingham and SMU tied for first at 23 under.
▪ The UC Davis women’s tennis team (7-10) won for the fourth time in the last six matches, 6-1 over visiting Montana State (9-8), the Aggies reported.
▪ The Sac State women’s varsity eight posted the fastest time in its heat during the first day of the San Diego Crew Classic and advanced to today’s Cal Cup grand final, the Hornets reported.
Bee Sports staff