Jesuit High star Andrej Stojakovic selected for prestigious McDonald’s All-American Game
Andrej Stojakovic hasn’t played in a basketball game since last month, slowed by a tender foot and ankle, but the Jesuit High School senior star expects to play soon — and well into March.
The 6-foot-7 Stanford-bound guard/forward and his teammates found out Tuesday he has been selected to participate in the prestigious McDonald’s All-American Game, the group gathering for a watch party of sorts on campus.
The McDonald’s game has been a who’s who of 5-star recruits since 1977. The event will be March 28 at the Toyota Center in Houston, well after the CIF state basketball tournament is contested at Golden 1 Center.
At the very least, Stojakovic and his Marauders teammates expect to be in the Sac-Joaquin Section championships at Golden 1 Center at the end of February and the Northern California regional rounds that follow. Jesuit harbors these sorts of expectations as The Bee’s preseason No. 1-ranked team — currently No. 2 behind Folsom — with Stojakovic as a game-changing difference maker.
Stojakovic didn’t make the McDonald’s roster for his body of work this season. It’s for his overall pedigree, including the ability to score inside and out, on drives, runners and dunks. He will be a popular draw because his game is one to appreciate and admire, a dominating force without having to dominate the ball, and his is a familiar name in this sport. His father, Peja Stojakovic, was a Kings All-Star during Sacramento’s heyday in the 2000s.
This isn’t just a Stojakovic honor. It’s one for the entire Jesuit program and school.
“Go check out the history tab on the McDonald’s website and you realize what an honor it is to have his name included as a part of that history,” Jesuit coach Tim Kelly said. “First McDonald’s All-American in Jesuit history. Really proud of Andrej. Cool moment for him and his family.”
As for a timetable for Stojakovic’s return, Kelly said: “He has not returned to action yet. Getting really close. I know he is really excited about getting back out there and competing.”
Stojakovic is just the third area boys player to make the McDonald’s game. The list of candidates is generally 700 to start.
DeMarcus Nelson played in the 2004 McDonald’s game after graduating from Sheldon as the state’s all-time career scoring leader, a mark he still owns (3,462 points). Nelson played his first three varsity seasons at Vallejo High, started at Duke and logged a long professional career, mostly overseas.
In 2018, Jordan Brown of Woodcreek High and later Prolific Prep of Napa played in the McDonald’s game. The 6-10 center had 26 points and eight rebounds in a 131-128 win for the West over the East. Brown was The Bee’s 2017 Player of the Year.
The McDonald’s game has included Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Dominique Wilkins, Shaquille O’Neal, Kevin Garnett and LeBron James, to name a few who wound up in the NBA.
The McDonald’s girls game, in play for 22 years, did not have any Sacramento-area players selected this season. The only four local products who have been selected were forward Jenn Hall of Folsom in 2003; forward Vicki Baugh of Sacramento in 2007; guard Sara James of Oak Ridge in 2010; and guard McKenzie Forbes of Folsom in 2018.
This story was originally published January 25, 2023 at 5:00 AM.