FOLSOM (15-0) VS. OCEANSIDE (14-0)
▪ When: Today, 8 p.m.
▪ Where: StubHub Center, Carson
▪ TV: Comcast SportsNet California
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
▪ Cal-Hi Sports state ranking: Folsom is third; Oceanside is fifth
▪ CIF Bowl history: Folsom won in 2010; Oceanside in 2007 and 2009
▪ Outlook: With 16 starters back from a 14-1 team that lost to De La Salle in the NorCal Open Division championship last year, Folsom expected to finish this season in Carson. The Bulldogs shattered regional and Northern California records en route to the title game, with quarterback Jake Browning setting the state season record for total touchdowns with 90 (85 passing, four rushing, one receiving) and the defensive starters allowing just one touchdown in the last seven weeks. Both teams have strength in the trenches with heavily recruited prospects, including senior Cody Creason (verbal commit to Arizona) and junior Jonah Williams of Folsom and Tommy Wood, Christian Cronk and Cedric Bigge-Duren of Oceanside. The Pirates, who have won 13 San Diego Section titles in 26 seasons under coach John Carroll in 26 years (249 victories), run a hurry-up offense led by quarterback Matt Romero (3,001 passing yards, 26 touchdown passes) and running back Josh Bernard (1,491 yards, 28 touchdowns). Folsom receiver Cole Thompson, whose 33 touchdown catches is tied for the most in the state in one season, could be matched against Oceanside cornerback Jordan Miller, who is headed to Washington on scholarship. Miller and Browning (5,351 passing yards, 333 completions, 68 percent passing) will be teammates at Washington.