Major League Baseball is taking a swing at adding a little fun for the players later this month.
When teams take the field for the first Players Weekend (Aug. 25-27), uniforms will have a much different look and some guys will have nicknames across their backs. Think “He Hate Me” of XFL fame.
“That’s somewhat how life is,” Giants outfielder Hunter Pence said on the team’s website. “Everyone is different. We’re working for the same cause but we can have fun while doing it and be creative. It’s like art.”
Pence will go by Wawindaji, a nickname given to him by teammate Jarrett Parker.
A’s reliever Liam Hendriks, who will go by “Slydah” because of the way he pronounces slider, is a fan of what the weekend offers.
“I think it’s a good idea, just because of the fact it’s a different uniform you get to wear for three days, and it’s a chance to take away all the color restrictions and all that,” Hendriks said on the team’s website. “So it’s a good weekend for players to kind of show their personalities. You get the chance to show your character.”
The jerseys will later be auctioned, with proceeds benefiting the MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation.
Nicknames for Players Weekend
Here’s a sampling of some of the nicknames players on the A’s and Giants will use during Players Weekend, which runs Aug. 25-27:
▪ Madison Bumgarner, P, Giants: “Mad-Bum”
▪ Matt Chapman, 3B, A’s: “Chappy”
▪ Jharel Cotton, P, A’s: “Squeaky”
▪ Brandon Crawford, SS, Giants: “B-Craw”
▪ Khris Davis, OF, A’s: “Khrush”
▪ Sam Dyson, P, Giants: “Rojo”
▪ Ryon Healy, DH, A’s: “Heals”
▪ Nick Hundley, C, Giants: “Hundo”
▪ Sean Manaea, P, A’s: “Da Kid”
▪ Bruce Maxwell, C, A’s: “Baby Prince”
▪ Pablo Sandoval, 3B, Giants: “Panda”
▪ Denard Span, OF, Giants: “Spaniard”