Sacramento Kings

Kings continue to sit Dewayne Dedmon as at least one potential trade partner emerges

Sacramento Kings center Dewayne Dedmon (13) reacts during the game against the LA Clippers at Golden 1 Center on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2019 in Sacramento.
Sacramento Kings center Dewayne Dedmon (13) reacts during the game against the LA Clippers at Golden 1 Center on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2019 in Sacramento. pkitagaki@sacbee.com

The Kings put Dewayne Dedmon on the inactive list again for Monday’s game against the Golden State Warriors as the team continued to explore potential trades for the 7-foot center.

Dedmon, 30, recently requested a trade less than six months after signing a three-year, $40 million deal with the Kings. He fell out of coach Luke Walton’s rotation after struggling over the first 21 games, but a number of teams could be intrigued by Dedmon’s unique skill set and at least one potential trade partner has emerged in recent days.

The Athletic’s Chris Kirschner reported that the Atlanta Hawks — Dedmon’s former team — have discussed the possibility of bringing him back. The Hawks are looking to upgrade a center rotation that currently features Bruno Fernando, Alex Len and Damian Jones. The Athletic noted Dedmon’s leadership and locker room presence have been missed in Atlanta, and he is still considered a good fit for the Hawks.

Dedmon enjoyed the two best seasons of his seven-year career with the Hawks. He averaged 10.8 points, 7.5 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.1 blocks while shooting 49.2 percent from the field and 38.2 percent from 3-point range last season in Atlanta.

He hasn’t been nearly as good in Sacramento, averaging 4.8 points and 3.8 rebounds while shooting 22.9 percent from beyond the arc. The Kings coveted Dedmon as a stretch big who could spread the floor with his perimeter shooting, creating space for point guard De’Aaron Fox and forward Marvin Bagley III to operate inside. General manager Vlade Divac believed Dedmon would be a perfect frontcourt partner for Bagley, but Bagley has been injured and Dedmon lost his starting job to Richaun Holmes after just four games.

Dedmon has appeared in only two of the past 16 games, logging a total of seven minutes since Dec. 6. The NBA fined Dedmon $50,000 last week after he publicly requested a trade in an interview with The Sacramento Bee.

“I would like to be traded,” Dedmon said. “I haven’t been playing, so I would like to go somewhere where my talents are appreciated.”

A league source told The Bee the Kings are willing to entertain offers for Dedmon, but they won’t make a deal unless it makes sense for the team and its future.

The Kings have listed Dedmon as inactive for their past three games against Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Pelicans and Warriors. Meanwhile, Harry Giles III has returned to the rotation, averaging 6 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 15.2 minutes over the past five games.

Walton was asked if he has placed Dedmon on the inactive list in response to his trade request and if he would continue to do so going forward.

“No, it’s just my decision,” Walton said. “I like to keep everyone engaged and ready, so it’s just my call. That doesn’t mean it’s permanent. That’s just what I decided.”

Now Walton will have to decide what to do if Holmes is unable to play against the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday. Holmes left Monday’s 111-98 win over the Warriors with a shoulder injury and did not return.

Holmes said he hoped to be able to play against the Suns. Walton said he had not decided if Dedmon would play in the event that Holmes is out for any period of time.

“(Holmes) is going to come with us to Phoenix and we’ll see,” Walton said. “Hopefully he can play. If not, then we’ve got to sit down as a staff and see where we’re at and what direction we want to go.”

Kings upcoming schedule

Jan. 7 at Phoenix, 6 p.m.

Jan. 10 vs. Milwaukee, 7 p.m.

Jan. 13 vs. Orlando, 7 p.m.

Jan. 15 vs. Dallas Mavericks

Jan. 18 at Utah, 6 p.m.

This story was originally published January 7, 2020 at 4:00 AM.

Jason Anderson
The Sacramento Bee
Jason Anderson has been the Sacramento Kings beat writer for The Sacramento Bee since 2018. He is a Sacramento native who is proud to provide coverage that is as passionate and dedicated as the loyal Kings fan base.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Sacramento sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Sacramento area sports - only $30 for 1 year

VIEW OFFER