Sacramento Kings

Source: Kings convert undrafted Alabama guard from two-way contract to standard NBA deal

Keon Ellis went undrafted out of Alabama in 2022 before signing a two-way contract with the Kings. Now in his second season, the 24-year-old guard is being rewarded with a multiyear NBA contract.

A league source told The Sacramento Bee the Kings are converting Ellis from a two-way contract to a standard NBA deal. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Ellis’ agent, Corey Marcum of EZ Sports Group, told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski it is a three-year contract. Michael Scotto of HoopsHype reported the deal is worth $5.56 million with a team option in the third year.

The Kings came out of the NBA trade deadline with an open roster spot after waiving Robin Lopez, who was acquired in a deal with the Milwaukee Bucks. The Kings used the roster spot to sign Ellis, who was nearing the NBA’s 50-game limit for two-way players.

Under the collective bargaining agreement, two-way players can be active for up to 50 games during the 82-game regular season. Ellis has appeared in only 29 games this season, but he has been active for 47. In addition, two-way players are not eligible for postseason play, so Ellis’ new contract will remove that restriction if the Kings reach the playoffs again this season.

Ellis is averaging 3.8 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 11.9 minutes per game. He is shooting 42.9% from the field and 37.7% from 3-point range.

Ellis started three games at point guard earlier this season, providing a steady hand when De’Aaron Fox was out due to injury. Ellis’ best game came in a 128-123 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder on Dec. 14. He scored a career-high 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting, going 5 of 7 from 3-point range. He also had a career-high six rebounds with three assists, one steal and one blocked shot.

Sacramento Kings guard Keon Ellis (23) and Boston Celtics guard Payton Pritchard (11) battle for a loose ball during Golden 1 Center in December.
Sacramento Kings guard Keon Ellis (23) and Boston Celtics guard Payton Pritchard (11) battle for a loose ball during Golden 1 Center in December. Paul Kitagaki Jr. pkitagaki@sacbee.com

This story was originally published February 9, 2024 at 10:59 AM.

Jason Anderson
The Sacramento Bee
Jason Anderson is The Sacramento Bee’s Kings beat writer. He is a Sacramento native and a graduate of Fresno State, where he studied journalism and college basketball under the late Jerry Tarkanian.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Sacramento sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Sacramento area sports - only $30 for 1 year

VIEW OFFER