- Opponent: vs. Los Angeles Rams
- Time: 7:20 p.m.
- Line: Rams by 2 1/2
- Records (2015): 49ers 5-11, Rams 7-9
- TV/radio: ESPN (Chris Berman, Steve Young), 810, 1320
Three things to watch
IN BLAINE THEY TRUST
With all the regional and national headlines garnered by Colin Kaepernick, many people tuning in to watch Monday night’s opener might be surprised to find Blaine Gabbert starting at quarterback for the 49ers. Instead of drafting a quarterback, the 49ers believed Gabbert, in Act II of his career, was the best option. He’ll have a chance to prove them right, beginning against the Rams, who represent Los Angeles for the first time since 1994.
GUARDING THE BEST
After reportedly mulling retirement on Saturday, offensive lineman Anthony Davis returned to the team for practice on Sunday. What he will do Monday night remains uncertain. Davis, who took the 2015 season off to let his “brain and body heal,” had been scheduled to make his first start at right guard. Now, he’s listed as questionable in the wake of the missed Saturday practice. Instead, the 49ers likely will start Andrew Tiller at right guard against the Rams. And NinersNation.com reported that Davis now is focusing on a return to right tackle, where he started every game from 2010 through 2013 before being injured in 2014. For now, Trent Brown is expected to start at right tackle, where his only starting experience is the final two games of his rookie season in 2015.
WILL HISTORY REPEAT?
Entering the 2015 season opener in a nationally televised Monday night game, the buzz was about Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. But as Carlos Hyde noted this week, he was the one who rushed for 168 yards, while Peterson had 31. Now comes the Rams’ highly touted running back, Todd Gurley, in another Monday night opener.
- Doubtful: DL Glenn Dorsey (knee), CB Keith Reaser (ankle), CB Chris Davis (hamstring).
- Questionable: DL Arik Armstead (shoulder); LB Nick Bellore (knee), DT Quinton Dial (knee).
- Out: WR Pharoh Cooper (shoulder), CB E.J. Gaines (thigh), WR Nelson Spurce (knee).
- Questionable: LB Bryce Hager (concussion), OT Rob Havenstein (foot).
Bee Sports staff
vs. L.A. Rams
Ch. 13, NFL
vs. Tampa Bay
vs. New Orleans
vs. New England
vs. N.Y. Jets
at L.A. Rams