SANTA CLARA -- Colts running back Frank Gore moved past Jim Brown on the NFL's all-time rushing list Sunday, presumably increasing his chances of one day reaching the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
The former 49ers tailback needed 19 yards to move into ninth place entering the game. He passed Brown with a 16-yard run in the first quarter and is within striking distance of passing Tony Dorsett for eighth place this season.
All of the rushers in the Top 10 are in the hall of fame except LaDainian Tomlinson (No. 5), who is eligible for the first time this year. Early in his career, Gore said he modeled his game on Tomlinson's.
Gore spent 10 seasons with San Francisco and is the franchise's all-time rushing leader. He joined the Colts last year via free agency.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
NFL all-time rushing list
1. Emmitt Smith 18,355 (1990-2004)
2. Walter Payton 16,726 (1975-1987)
3. Barry Sanders 15,269 (1989-1998)
4. Curtis Martin 14,101 (1995-2005)
5. LaDainian Tomlinson 13,684 (2001-2011)
6. Jerome Bettis 13,662 (1993-2005)
7. Eric Dickerson 13,259 (1983-1993)
8, Tony Dorsett 12,739 1977-1988
9. Frank Gore 12,368 (2005-current)
10. Jim Brown 12,312 (1957-1965)
* Through first half of Week 5