49ers vs Jets: Matt Barrows' 5 players to watch
- Opponent: vs. New York Jets
- Time: 1:05 p.m.
- Line: 49ers by 3
- Records: 49ers 1-11, Jets 3-9
- TV/radio: Ch. 13 (Greg Gumbel, Trent Green), 680, 1320
Three things to watch
IS KAEPERNICK AUDITIONING FOR THE JETS?
There was a report out of New York last year that 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick wanted to play for the Jets. He listed his San Jose home on the real estate market and has purchased a condominium in Manhattan. Kaepernick, who can opt out of his contract this coming March, says he’s only focused on playing for the 49ers this weekend and throughout the final month of the season. But what about next year? If he truly wants to be a Jet, a big outing against New York on Sunday would only help his cause.
UP AND DOWN SEASON FOR DRAUGHN
Shaun Draughn began the season as the 49ers’ No. 2 running back behind Carlos Hyde, lost that designation first to Mike Davis, then to DuJuan Harris and now is back in the No. 2 spot again. That should tell you something about the quality of the 49ers’ running backs corps. Still, the 49ers seem to have figured out how best to use Draughn – as a receiver out of the backfield who can get loose for deep passes.
PATTON NEEDS TO CATCH ON LATE IN SEASON
Most wide receivers are known for the ability to make tough catches or big plays after the catch. Quinton Patton, however, has made a reputation around the league as one of the game’s best-blocking wide receivers. It’s a different story as a receiver. Patton ranks 106th in the NFL in receiving yards despite starting 12 games and has done little as a pass catcher in his previous three years in the league. He's due to become a free agent in March and needs to finish strongly to make the 49ers feel compelled to re-sign him.
- Out: S Antonio Allen (concussion), OT Breno Giacomini (back, calf, shoulder), WR Jalin Marshall (concussion), LB Lorenzo Mauldin (ankle), DT Steve McLendon (hamstring), RB Khiry Robinson (lower leg).
- Questionable: DE Muhammad Wilkerson (ankle).
- Doubtful: OT Joe Staley (hamstring).
- Questionable: DT Quinton Dial (elbow), LB Aaron Lynch (ankle).
vs. Los Angeles
vs. Tampa Bay
vs. New Orleans
vs. New England
vs. N.Y. Jets
at Los Angeles