Fullback Bruce Miller is expected to rejoin the 49ers for their offseason program after pleading no contest Tuesday to misdemeanor disturbing the peace in connection with a March 5 argument with his former fiancée.
Miller was accused of smashing the woman’s cellphone outside a Santa Clara garage. He was arrested on suspicion of spousal battery but later was charged with vandalism after the woman denied there had been any physical contact during the incident.
Miller, 27, must attend a 16-week domestic violence counseling course as part of his plea, and he is barred from contact with his ex-fiancée. He is expected to be sentenced in about six months after he has completed the program.
“We are satisfied that Mr. Miller is taking steps to address his underlying anger issues,” prosecutor Tyrone Wilson said. “He will hear in his mandated class that domestic violence is unacceptable no matter what the degree or circumstance.”
Said 49ers general manager Trent Baalke in a statement: “The 49ers organization is aware of today’s proceedings involving Bruce Miller. Bruce knows what we expect of him as a member of this team, and he has committed to taking the necessary steps to grow from this experience.”
The 49ers have developed a program to educate and assist players involved with off-field issues, and it appears as if Miller already is engaged in that program.
Miller, the 49ers’ starting fullback since 2011, has not attended any of the team’s offseason sessions while his legal issue was being resolved.
A league source said he has been working out on his own in the Santa Clara area, is in good shape and is at his target weight. Miller is expected to rejoin practices shortly. The 49ers have two days of organized team activities Thursday and Friday and a mandatory minicamp that begins Tuesday.