San Francisco 49ers

No charges today on Ray McDonald case; Monday hearing to be delayed

SANTA CLARA -- Investigators are still examining what happened at Ray McDonald’s home on Aug. 31 and have not handed the case to the district attorney’s office for review. That means it’s likely that McDonald’s court hearing on Monday will be delayed by two weeks.

The timing in the case is typical for one that involves multiple witnesses.

McDonald was arrested last month after police found what they described as “visible injuries” on his finacee, who is 11 weeks pregnant. Sources have told The Bee those injuries were bruises on her arm and one on her neck. McDonald has spoken publicly only once, after he posted bail. McDonald told reporters “the truth would come out” and that he was a “good-hearted person.”

Sources have said that McDonald and his fiancee have had a volatile relationship and that they had split up for a period earlier this year. Investigators are looking at the Aug. 31 event, a birthday party for McDonald, and also an incident that occurred May 25 when police were called to his home.

San Jose Police have not released any details of that event.

McDonald played in the 49ers’ Week 1 game against the Cowboys and is on track to start Sunday’s home opener at Levi’s Stadium against the Bears. The 49ers, meanwhile, have said they will not tolerate a domestic abuser on the team but they would not act until there are facts and evidence indicating guilt and have repeatedly said they will allow “due process” to play out.

McDonald was late for practice two days last week while dealing with the investigation. He has been on hand for the full practice every day this week.

“I think his focus and preparation has been good in light of everything that he’s been through here the last two weeks,” defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said. “He’s obviously had some things he’s had to deal with. He’s been late for a couple meetings because he’s had to deal with some things. You guys saw last week he was late for a practice or two because he had to talk to people. But I think he’s handled it extremely well in light of the firestorm that’s out there.”