▪ Opponent: at New York Giants
▪ Time: 10 a.m.
▪ Line: 49ers by 4
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Records: 49ers 5-4, Giants 3-6
▪ TV/radio: FOX40 (Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch), 680, 1320
FIVE 49ERS TO WATCH
LB CHRIS BORLAND
As an encore to his 18 tackles against the Rams, Borland had 17 tackles last week against the Saints. He’ll likely get plenty of chances against the Giants, too. The 49ers will be breaking in a new nose tackle, and the Giants are sure to test the middle of the defense with their running game.
CB PERRISH COX
Cox may be the busiest 49er. Not only will he start at cornerback, Cox will slide inside to nickel cornerback when the Giants use three or more receivers because Jimmie Ward (foot) is out for the season. Cox also is the top option for punt returns with Bruce Ellington out because of an ankle injury.
WR MICHAEL CRABTREE
Crabtree’s yardage totals are down, and his drops are up. But defenses surely will catch on that Anquan Boldin has become quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s favorite target. If they start zeroing in on Boldin, it will open the door for a big outing from Crabtree. He’s due for one.
LT JOE STALEY
The 49ers’ offensive line rebounded dramatically last week from the loss to the Rams, and Staley, the unit’s captain, set the tone with a particularly strong outing. The 49ers’ offense works best when it builds off its running game. The team would be wise to try to pound the ball against a Giants defense that is allowing a league-worst 144.7 rushing yards a game.
P ANDY LEE
Lee hasn’t played to his All-Pro billing the last two games, partly because of an ankle injury on his kicking foot that is particularly bothersome when he tries to boom long punts. As the injury improves, so will Lee’s net average.
▪ Out: S Jimmie Ward (foot), DT Ian Williams (fibula)
▪ Questionable: CB Tramaine Brock (hamstring), WR Bruce Ellington (ankle), LB Dan Skuta (ankle)
▪ Probable: DE Justin Smith (not injury related), LB Chris Borland (shoulder), RB Frank Gore (hip), S Eric Reid (ankle), DE Ray McDonald (knee)
▪ Out: RB Peyton Hillis (concussion), DT Cullen Jenkins (calf), LB Jacquian Williams (concussion)
▪ Probable: DE Mathias Kiwanuka (knee), S Natneal Berhe (ankle), TE Daniel Fells (neck), RB Rashad Jennings (knee), DE Damontre Moore (shoulder)
vs. Kansas City
at St. Louis
vs. St. Louis
at New Orleans
W, 27-24 (OT)
at N.Y. Giants
vs. San Diego