Greg Roman has accepted the Bills’ offer to be their new offensive coordinator, a league source said, and he is heading to Buffalo today to begin assembling his staff. The Bills announced Rex Ryan, who spent two years on the same Ravens staff as Roman, as their new head coach earlier in the day.
Like every 49ers assistant coach, Roman still is under contract with the team. Once he signs his new deal in Buffalo, however, the 49ers won’t owe him any portion of his 2015 salary.
The question now becomes how many assistants Roman will take with him to Buffalo. He’s believed to have an interest in 49ers receivers coach John Morton, a long-time friend of Jim Harbaugh’s who did not follow Harbaugh to the University of Michigan. Tim Drevno will run Harbaugh’s rushing attack; former Jaguars coordinator Jed Fisch will operate Michigan’s passing game.
A source also said Roman is interested in offensive line coach Mike Solari, who has been with the 49ers since 2010. Whether Solari -- and other assistants -- remain largely will depend on who the 49ers hire to run their offense and who that person wants to retain.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The defensive staff has a chance to return largely intact. Should current defensive coordinator Vic Fangio get the job, he is expected to elevate secondary coach Ed Donatell to coordinator. Donatell also likely is Jim Tomsula’s choice for coordinator should Tomsula, the team’s defensive line coach, get the job.
49ers offensive assistants
▪ Offensive coordinator, Greg Roman -- Accepted same position with the Bills.
▪ Offensive line, Mike Solari -- Remains under contract; Bills are interested in him.
▪ Quarterbacks, Geep Chryst -- Remains under contract, son has committed to play quarterback at Stanford
▪ Running backs, Tom Rathman -- Remains under contract. He, Solari and defensive line coach Jim Tomsula are team’s longest-tenured assistants.
▪ Wide receivers, John Morton -- Remains under contract; Buffalo has interest.
▪ Tight ends, Eric Mangini -- Interviewed for Raiders head-coach opening, Washington’s defensive coordinator position.
▪ Assistant offensive line, Reggie Davis -- Accepted position with the University of Nebraska
Read Matt Barrows’ blogs and archives at www.sacbee.com/sf49ers.