Anthony Davis’ desire to return to the NFL won’t prevent the 49ers from taking an offensive tackle early in the draft. And Davis is encouraging them to do so.
“The 49ers should draft an offensive tackle in the top 10,” Davis wrote on his verified Twitter account Wednesday.
A few minutes later, he put his return in even greater doubt.
“I do not want to work with a front office or anyone else who seemingly doesn’t want to win as bad as I do,” Davis wrote.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Davis, who had been the 49ers’ starting right tackle since being drafted in the first round in 2010, abruptly stepped away from the game in June because of health issues and sat out the 2015 season.
He’s indicated on multiple occasions he intends to play this year. But he hasn’t filed for reinstatement with the league office, and neither Davis nor the 49ers have given a reason.
Last week, 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said he hasn’t met with Davis and said the lineman would not influence how the 49ers approach the tackle position in the draft. The 49ers still control his contractual rights.
Left tackle Joe Staley, the longest tenured and perhaps best player on the team, didn’t seem enthused about Davis returning.
“I don’t know anything about that,” Staley said this month. “I haven’t kept in contact with him at all.”
Staley said second-year player Trent Brown was the front-runner to land the starting right tackle spot. The 49ers, who pick seventh Thursday, could select Mississippi’s Laremy Tunsil or Notre Dame’s Ronnie Stanley.