How can you report water waste in unincorporated areas of the county?

03/13/2014 12:00 AM

04/15/2015 10:29 AM

Q: How can you report people who are wasting water in the unincorporated areas of the county? – Theresa Gregory, Sacramento

A: Suspected violations can be reported to the local water provider. More than two dozen districts and agencies provide water in the greater Sacramento area, so determining whose water is going down the drain can be like solving a puzzle. But we found a useful key.

The Regional Water Authority created a map of water jurisdictions. Find it here. The interactive map is part of the RWA’s website. Once you determine the district that serves the location in question, click on that district’s link. Each district lists its own water-waster hotline.

For example, the Carmichael Water District’s reporting line is (916) 483-2452. The hotline for San Juan Water District, which serves much of Placer County, is (916) 791-2663.

When reporting an incident, remember to be as specific as possible, including exact address as well as day and time of the alleged incident. Also note if this is a continuing issue, such as sprinklers spraying sidewalks every morning.

Residents in the City of Sacramento have it easier. To report potential water wasters, call the city hotline at 311.


Editor's Choice Videos


Join the Discussion

The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service