While most of his teammates have attended the 49ers’ offseason program, fullback Bruce Miller, arrested last month on suspicion of spousal battery, has been home in Georgia “taking care of business,” general manager Trent Baalke said Friday.
“Once again, they don’t have to be here at this stage in the season,” Baalke said. “We sat down with Bruce and feel it’s very important for him to handle this situation and once it’s handled, we’ll move on from there.”
Miller, 27, was arrested in Santa Clara on March 5 after allegedly shoving a woman to the ground and smashing her cellphone. The Santa Clara County district attorney’s office is reviewing the case and has not filed charges.
The NFL has attempted to crack down on domestic violence after it was rocked last year by a number of high-profile cases involving players, including running back Ray Rice. Baalke and the 49ers seemed to follow suit. They dismissed defensive end Ray McDonald in December after he became involved in a second police investigation in four months involving violence against women and publicly stated they were uninterested in free-agent pass rusher Greg Hardy, who had been involved in a domestic-violence case.
Asked Friday if the 49ers had removed former Missouri wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham from his draft board, Baalke wouldn’t say. Green-Beckham was cited in a police report last year that alleged he shoved a woman down some stairs. He wasn’t arrested, but he was dismissed from the team following the incident. He previously was arrested for two marijuana-related incidents.
Green-Beckham reportedly was one of several wide receivers who visited the 49ers earlier this week.
“We’ve done our homework like we do with every player in this draft,” Baalke said. “Every situation’s different, so to compare (Green-Beckham) or anyone else in this draft to Greg Hardy, I don’t think you can do that. Every situation’s different. You look at it for what it is and you dig into it as much as you can. And that’s all we can do in this business.”
Carter visiting Patriots, too – Sacramento State wide receiver DeAndre Carter was at the Raiders pro day Thursday and the 49ers’ session Friday. The 5-foot-8 Carter, who had 99 catches, 1,321 yards and 17 touchdowns for the Hornets last season, said interest from teams has picked up in recent weeks and that he would visit the New England Patriots on Monday. He’s also had a workout with the Arizona Cardinals.
“I’d say I was a little bit off the radar, and then I had a pretty good pro day,” Carter said. “Some teams are starting to call. ... You put the athletic numbers with the (game) film and people are starting to get interested.”
Et cetera – Baalke hinted the 49ers are working on a long-term deal for inside linebacker Michael Wilhoite. He is an exclusive-rights free agent this year, which means he can’t negotiate with other teams. Wilhoite, who started 16 games last season, has not signed his free-agent tender, but he has attended the 49ers’ offseason program.
▪ Baalke said running back Carlos Hyde is down into the mid-220-pound range, his lowest weight since early in college, and is looking “extremely good.” Hyde was listed at 235 pounds as a rookie last season.
▪ Asked how outside linebacker Aldon Smith, who is entering the final year of his contract, looked, Balke said, “Hungry. He’s got a great look in his eye. He’s doing well.”
Read Matt Barrows’ blogs and archives at www.sacbee.com/sf49ers.