Keep your resolution for a more beautiful and productive garden in 2018. Where to get started?
▪ Prune, prune, prune! This is rose-pruning season. Trim back bushes to one-half their total size.
▪ Clean up leaves and debris around fruit trees and rosebushes to prevent the spread of fungal disease.
▪ Apply oil to fruit trees soon after a rain to control scale, mites and aphids. Oils need 24 hours of dry weather after application to be effective. Don’t apply on foggy days.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Spray a copper-based oil on peach and nectarine trees to fight leaf curl.
▪ In the vegetable garden, plant fava beans, head lettuce, mustard, onion sets, radicchio and radishes.
▪ Plant bare-root asparagus and root divisions of rhubarb.