Dogs love chocolate as much as we do, based on the number of stories I’ve heard about canines who crave the sweet stuff. Just about every week, I see or hear from clients whose dogs have gotten into a box of designer chocolates or a bag of Snickers bars. One Christmas my brother Bobby’s Yorkie, Buddy, ate an entire 1-pound box of Godiva chocolates.
But while dogs who OD on chocolate might get the same flavor enjoyment from it that we do, it’s not so good for their health. Chocolate contains both caffeine and a substance called theobromine. Both are plant alkaloids toxic to dogs, who aren’t able to process theobromine as efficiently as humans.
Now, I hear stories all the time about dogs who suffer no ill effects after eating a whole batch of homemade fudge or cookies dipped in dark chocolate. That’s because chocolate’s toxic effects – known as chocolate toxicosis – vary depending on the size of the dog, the amount and type of chocolate eaten, and individual sensitivity.
Small dogs, like 6-pound Buddy, are at greater risk than the typical 100-pound Labrador retriever. And dogs who eat chocolate candy adulterated with lots of sugar are usually less at risk than those sophisticated canines who ingest high-quality dark chocolate.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic it is,” says Justine Lee, DVM, who’s double board-certified in toxicology and emergency and critical-care medicine. “White and milk chocolate have less theobromine.”
That doesn’t mean that milk chocolate is necessarily safe.
If they’re going to have a problem, most dogs start to vomit, have diarrhea or become unusually thirsty within six to 12 hours of ingesting chocolate. Restlessness and a distended abdomen are also signs. More severe side effects such as seizures, a racing heart (tachycardia) and high or low blood pressure can also occur.
Dogs who are highly sensitive to theobromine or who ingest the more toxic dark forms of chocolate, such as cocoa powder or unsweetened baking chocolate, can die from cardiac arrhythmias, hyperthermia or respiratory failure.
My brother’s dog Buddy indeed needed a trip to the veterinary clinic, but I’m happy to report that he survived the incident.
When in doubt, Dr. Lee advises, contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) or other pet poison hotline for life-saving advice.
Pet Connection is produced by pet-care experts.