Local

Federal spending cuts loom nationwide. ‘Business as usual’ for Sacramento County agencies

Sacramento County: A view of downtown Sacramento from the Tower Bridge

With the Trump administration cutting back on government spending, Sacramento County employees were alerted last week that the county is preparing for potential impacts, but it’s “business as usual” for now.

Sacramento County Executive David Villanueva, who authored a staff-wide memo, said the county is “working closely” with its “federal and state partners to fully understand” possible outcomes as federal employees and programs experience cuts.

“We are working closely with your department heads to track any changes resulting from new federal directives and are committed to updating everyone as we navigate between potential scenarios and confirmed developments,” Villanueva said to employees last week.

On Tuesday, Kim Nava, a county spokesperson, said there are no plans to halt or cut its workforce within its departments through a hiring freeze or potential layoffs. She said the county could not speculate on potential changes due to federal funding.

“The county wants to make it clear that there are no plans for a hiring freeze or layoffs. We are actively monitoring ongoing federal directives and closely following legal developments,” Nava said in a statement.

Last week, President Donald Trump signed an executive order mandating the head of federal departments begin to take “large-scale reductions in force,” the executive order read.

Nava explained the county is following legal developments on federal funding which could include “court opinions regarding potential suspensions or delays in their implementation.”

Concerns about layoffs have arisen as mass federal agencies have rolled out layoffs and cuts. Around 75,000 federal employees accepted the White House’s “deferred resignation” to end their positions by September as a result of these cutbacks, according to NBC News.

“We want to reassure our employees and the public that it is business as usual, and the county will continue to remain focused on achieving the goals set by the Board of Supervisors,” Nava said.

Emma Hall
The Sacramento Bee
Emma Hall covers Sacramento County for The Sacramento Bee. Hall graduated from Sacramento State and Diablo Valley College. She is Blackfeet and Cherokee.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW