Local

Lovett Moore, blind man missing since late June, still sought by Sacramento police

The Sacramento Police Department said Lovett “LJ” Moore went missing, last seen June 28 in the 3200 block of Arena Boulevard. Police initially said Moore was last seen July 3 but have since clarified he went missing five days earlier.
The Sacramento Police Department said Lovett “LJ” Moore went missing, last seen June 28 in the 3200 block of Arena Boulevard. Police initially said Moore was last seen July 3 but have since clarified he went missing five days earlier. Sacramento Police Department

Nearly three weeks after a legally blind Natomas man went missing — and amid a public appeal to authorities to do more to find him — Sacramento police are still seeking the clues that will bring Lovett Moore home.

“Our officers are continuing to follow up on any leads. If anyone has any tips, no information is too small,” said Officer Anthony Gamble, a Sacramento Police Department spokesman, at Sacramento City Hall on Wednesday. “If you think you saw him, let us do the work to find him.”

Lovett “LJ” Moore is 33 years old. He is 5-foot-8 and 167 pounds. Security camera images from the Aisle 1 fuel station in the 3400 block of Arena Boulevard in the Gateway West neighborhood show Moore’s last-known whereabouts, about 12:30 a.m. June 28. He was last seen wearing a green long-sleeve shirt and dark knee-length shorts in the images and clutching a clear plastic beverage cup.

Days after Moore’s June 28 disappearance, Moore’s family with community advocate Lena Schenk returned July 5 to the Arena Boulevard gas station where Moore was last seen to demand more urgency from Sacramento law enforcement to find the missing, disabled Moore.

Schenk, of the Sacramento advocacy group EMPACT, said Moore was last seen with three people who walked him from the convenience store to a nearby vehicle.

“He is legally blind, disabled, has no resources, and has never been away from home this long,” Schenk said in a statement at the time. “His family believes he is in imminent danger.”

“This is a blatant failure to act with urgency,” Schenk said in the statement, calling on authorities to deploy all available resources to locate him. “We see time and time again that people with disabilities, particularly Black men and women, do not receive the same priority and visibility. LJ is blind, vulnerable, and at risk. The system must respond accordingly.”

Sacramento Police Department officials have since said that missing persons detectives have been pursuing leads and working with local and regional agencies while officials have been in contact with Moore’s family.

Officials are urging people with credible information to call Sacramento Police Department dispatchers at 916-808-5471.

Darrell Smith
The Sacramento Bee
Darrell Smith is a local reporter for The Sacramento Bee. He joined The Bee in 2006 and previously worked at newspapers in Palm Springs, Colorado Springs and Marysville. Smith was born and raised at Beale Air Force Base and lives in Elk Grove.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW