Police make arrest in Sacramento shooting that killed one man, wounded another
Homicide detectives arrested a suspect accused in a shooting last month when gunfire struck two people on Broadway in Sacramento, including one man who died three days later at a hospital.
Vernon Carl Jordan, 19, of Carmichael was arrested on suspicion of homicide and other charges in connection with the June 1 shooting, the Sacramento Police Department announced Wednesday afternoon.
Jordan was booked early Wednesday at the Sacramento County Main Jail. He faces the homicide charges, along with charges of assault with a deadly weapon and firing a gun at inhabited vehicle, vehicle or building, jail records show.
He is scheduled to appear for his arraignment Thursday afternoon in Sacramento Superior Court. The Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office filed a criminal complaint against Jordan on Monday, court records show.
The Police Department did not release any other details about the shooting investigation and what led up to Jordan’s arrest.
The shooting was reported shortly after 12:30 p.m. June 1 in the 2800 block of Broadway, just west of Franklin Boulevard. Officers arrived at the shooting scene and found a man with at least one gunshot wound. Police said the wounded man was taken by ambulance to a hospital and listed in critical condition with life-threatening injuries.
Another man also wounded in the shooting went on his own to a hospital and survived his injuries, police said.
The Police Department was notified on June 5 that the man critically wounded in the Broadway shooting, Paul Miguel Quiroz, 26, of Sacramento, had succumbed to his injuries. Quiroz died June 4, according to the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office.