Crime - Sacto 911

Police announce Golden 1 Center trespassing suspect who went unresponsive has died

A man who became unresponsive after being detained last week by Sacramento and private security, allegedly trespassing at Golden 1 Center, died two days later, Sacramento police said this week.

Police responded at about 3:33 a.m. on July 2 to reports of a man who was “behaving erratically, running through the building, ignoring commands from security officers and appeared to be under the influence of an unknown substance,” at the 500 block of David J. Stern Walk, according to a news release sent last week.

In an updated statement Monday evening, the Sacramento Police Department said the man died Thursday. No other details about the man or the manner of his death were provided by the department.

The man has been identified as Mario Matthews, 39, Sacramento County Coroner Kimberly Gin confirmed to The Sacramento Bee in an email Tuesday morning. Gin said Matthews’ death remains under investigation, and the manner of death is still classified as undetermined.

Golden 1 Center security had handcuffed and detained the suspect by the time police arrived, the police department said in the initial news release. The man then became unresponsive and officers began to administer CPR, authorities said.

Fire personnel arrived at the scene at 3:46 a.m. and transported the individual to a hospital, a Sacramento Fire Department spokesperson said.

Police are encouraging witnesses with information regarding this incident to contact the dispatch center at 916-808-5471 or Sacramento Valley Crime Stoppers at 916-443–4357 or submit an anonymous tip using the free “P3 Tips” smartphone app.

Related stories from Sacramento Bee

Michael McGough anchors The Sacramento Bee’s breaking news reporting team, covering public safety and other local stories. A Sacramento native and lifelong capital resident, he interned at The Bee while attending Sacramento State, where he earned a degree in journalism.