Crime

Man, 18, killed in shooting at Upper Land Park housing complex identified by Sacramento coroner

Police vehicles and tape block off Fifth Street at Vallejo Way in the Upper Land Park section of Sacramento following a shooting Sunday, June 23, 2024.
Police vehicles and tape block off Fifth Street at Vallejo Way in the Upper Land Park section of Sacramento following a shooting Sunday, June 23, 2024. idesai@sacbee.com

The man who was shot Sunday at an Upper Land Park affordable housing complex has died, according to the Sacramento Police Department.

Officers were called just before noon to the 2700 block of Fifth Street to an address at the Marina Vista housing complex bordering Seavey Circle. Police cordoned off a portion of the complex as they investigated, focusing on an area between two rows of apartments where evidence markers had been placed.

Officer Anthony Gamble, a spokesman for the Sacramento Police Department, said in an update Monday that the man, identified as an 18-year-old had died. No other information about the shooting, including suspects and a motive, were available, he said.

The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office identified the victim as Daani Partridge.

Evidence markers show an area where a shooting took place Sunday, June 23, 2024, between apartment rows in the Marina Vista affordable housing complex in the Upper Land Park section of Sacramento. Police say one man was hospitalized after he was shot.
Evidence markers show an area where a shooting took place Sunday, June 23, 2024, between apartment rows in the Marina Vista affordable housing complex in the Upper Land Park section of Sacramento. Police say one man was hospitalized after he was shot. Ishani Desai idesai@sacbee.com

On Sunday, a group of kids sat on a curb watching the flashing police lights and wondered aloud what happened. Residents walked by the police tape and orange markers, talking loudly on the phone about the shooting.

Scorpio Davis, a longtime resident of the complex run by the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency, said he doesn’t live near where gunfire broke out, but walked outside to see police cars lining the streets. He noted he feels safe where he lives in the complex.

“That’s crazy,” Davis said of the incident as he walked back home after watching the scene.

Sunday’s shooting was the first of two fatal incidents in the city on Sunday. A man was killed hours later near a light rail station in North Sacramento later in the afternoon.

This story was originally published June 23, 2024 at 12:49 PM.

ID
Ishani Desai
The Sacramento Bee
Ishani Desai is former reporter for The Sacramento Bee.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW