Crime

Driver narrowly escapes early morning Sacramento freeway shooting when round grazes his neck

Police tape at crime scene

A driver was grazed in the neck in a midnight freeway shooting, but escaped serious injury, the California Highway Patrol said Thursday.

The shooting happened north of downtown Sacramento on southbound Interstate 5 near the Interstate 80 interchange. The shooter fired a single shot that went through the driver-side window grazing the driver before continuing out the front window, CHP officials said.

Investigators had little else to go on early Thursday. Officers said they had no information on a license plate and had only a vague description of the suspected shooter’s vehicle. No arrests have been made in the incident.

Darrell Smith
The Sacramento Bee
Darrell Smith is a local reporter for The Sacramento Bee. He joined The Bee in 2006 and previously worked at newspapers in Palm Springs, Colorado Springs and Marysville. Smith was born and raised at Beale Air Force Base and lives in Elk Grove.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW