Crime

Sacramento man pleads guilty to gun charge after UC Davis Picnic Day shooting

Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • A Sacramento man pleaded guilty to a federal gun possession charge.
  • Joseph Allen Davis still faces state gun possession charges in Yolo Superior Court.
  • Davis remains in custody at the Sacramento County Jail under a federal hold.

A 19-year-old Sacramento man pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court to being a convicted felon in possession of a gun after a shooting that wounded three people at a UC Davis Picnic Day event.

Joseph Allen Davis faces up to 15 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for his role in the April 12 shooting at Rainbow City Park in Davi, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento announced in a news release.

In a plea agreement filed Thursday, prosecutors said they would recommend Davis be sentenced to “the low-end of the applicable guideline range for this offense.” Chief U.S. District Judge Troy L. Nunley scheduled sentencing for March 26.

Prosecutors said Davis was identified as a shooter at the UC Davis Picnic Day event. Gunfire erupted shortly before 3 p.m., sending people running for safety in the crowded park.

Several days after the shooting, the Davis Police Department announced in a news release that “evidence” showed more than one shooter was “involved in the incident.” Authorities have not announced any other arrests in connection with the Picnic Day shooting.

Joseph Allen Davis, 19, who was allegedly involved in the Picnic Day shooting which wounded three people at Community Park in Davis, is arraigned in Yolo Superior Court in Woodland on Wednesday, May 28, 2025.
Joseph Allen Davis, 19, who was allegedly involved in the Picnic Day shooting which wounded three people at Community Park in Davis, is arraigned in Yolo Superior Court in Woodland on Wednesday, May 28, 2025. HECTOR AMEZCUA hamezcua@sacbee.com

Two teens and a 24-year-old were injured in the shooting, which occurred at the close of one of Davis’ signature events — the annual open house for the University of California, Davis.

Picnic Day has been a tradition in Davis since 1909 in what UC Davis calls the “crown jewel” event of its campus. It serves as the annual open house for the campus with some 70,000 attendees and includes a parade, battle of the bands, fashion show and student organization fair.

On the day of the shooting, a fraternity hosted a party at Community Park off campus that drew hundreds of people.

Police said additional neighboring law enforcement agencies were already in Davis at the time of the shooting because they were assisting with Picnic Day.

Following the shooting, the Davis Police Department teamed with state and federal investigators in a search for clues as Davis leaders tried to reassure a city shaken by the shooting.

On May 23, Davis police and Sacramento County sheriff’s deputies arrested Davis at his home. Prosecutors said investigators found in Davis’ apartment a short-barrel AR-15-style pistol loaded with 23 rounds of ammunition.

Davis is prohibited from possessing any firearms and ammunition, because he was previously convicted of a felony charge of unlawful gun possession, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

He still faces state criminal charges in Yolo Superior Court in connection the with shooting. Court records show that he’s been ordered to appear at a hearing Tuesday morning for a motion to dismiss his Yolo County case.

Davis faces state felony charges of possessing an assault weapon, being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition and having a firearm after a prior juvenile conviction. He also faces a misdemeanor charge of possessing a large-capacity ammunition magazine.

“He put himself in the situation of a shootout where three individuals were shot,” Yolo County Deputy District Attorney Carolyn Palumbo said during Davis’ May 28 arraignment on the state charges. “He’s a felon in possession of a firearm by a gang member in a park that was populated by people, including kids. He’s a public safety risk.”

Davis on Thursday evening remained in custody at the Sacramento County Main Jail under a federal custody hold. He’s been in custody at the jail on the federal hold since July 31, a few days before the U.S. Attorney’s Office formally charged Davis with the federal gun charge.

Rosalio Ahumada
The Sacramento Bee
Rosalio Ahumada writes breaking news stories related to crime and public safety for The Sacramento Bee. He speaks Spanish fluently and has worked as a news reporter in the Central Valley since 2004.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW