A Sacramento woman lost everything Wednesday when a fire tore through her Northgate house, destroying the home and killing the two dogs who were her sole companions.
To make matters worse, Sacramento Fire Department officials said, it was her birthday.
The woman was not immediately identified Wednesday in the wake of the fire, which began in the attic of her home in the 500 block of Potomac Avenue. Firefighters were called about 1:20 p.m., according to the Fire Department. The woman was at lunch elsewhere with her family at the time of the blaze, department spokesman Roberto Padilla said.
When crews arrived, they entered the home to try to extinguish the blaze from the inside. But firefighters soon evacuated after declaring the structure unsound.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
They eventually doused the flames from the outside, but the home was declared a total loss. The Red Cross was helping provide shelter for the woman, Padilla said.
Two days earlier, three firefighters were hospitalized after the floor gave way inside a residence in the 5200 block of 22nd Avenue in south Sacramento, trapping two of them in the basement. The department said firefighter Adam McKahan and probationary firefighter Alex Galang were burned in the blaze. Capt. Gary Pimentel, who was involved in the rescue effort, suffered smoke inhalation.
Call The Bee’s Marissa Lang at (916) 321-1038. Follow her on Twitter at @Marissa_Jae.