City Beat

Stephon Clark shooting will take center stage at Sacramento City Council again

An overflow crowd and a visible police presence are expected at Tuesday’s Sacramento City Council meeting, one week after an emotional public session in which Stephon Clark’s brother leaped onto the dais and told Mayor Darrell Steinberg repeatedly to shut up.

The large crowd is expected at the second City Council meeting of the day scheduled for 5 p.m., when public testimony on a variety of issues – including the Clark shooting – will be heard. Overflow seating and a live broadcast will be available in the plaza outside City Hall. More police officers are expected to be assigned inside City Hall than during last week's meeting.

Steinberg has said that another council meeting disruption of last week's nature will not happen again.

To debate regular city business, the City Council has scheduled a separate special meeting at 1:30 p.m., but will not hear public testimony on topics that do not appear on the agenda.

The council scheduled a community discussion on the Clark shooting last week. But just minutes in, Stevante Clark – Stephon Clark’s older brother – burst into the council chambers and jumped onto the council dais in front of the mayor. The meeting was temporarily adjourned when Clark began yelling at the audience and telling the mayor to shut up as he tried to get Clark’s attention.

The meeting was eventually cut short.

"I realize that many members of the community did not get a chance to speak at last week’s special City Council meeting on the death of Stephon Clark. Those who still wish to do so are welcome to participate in the public comment period planned for Tuesday night’s meeting," Steinberg said in a statement.

Asked if police would increase their presence Tuesday, spokesman Sgt. Vance Chandler said, "We are working on our plan to make sure everyone is safe."

Stephon Clark, 22, was shot and killed March 18 by Sacramento police officers who were chasing a suspected car burglar in Meadowview. Officers said they thought Clark had a gun before firing 20 shots at the young man in his grandmother’s backyard. Clark was found with only his cellphone.

After two weeks of steady protests throughout the city, Sacramento has seen a brief pause since a tense demonstration Saturday night in which a protester was struck by a Sacramento sheriff’s vehicle.

The next large demonstration is planned for later this week. The Sacramento chapter of Black Lives Matter and the Anti Police-Terror Project are planning a protest outside the Sacramento District Attorney’s Office on Wednesday at 3 p.m. The DA's office is the lead agency investigating the actions of the police officers who shot and killed Clark.

Related stories from Sacramento Bee

  Comments