The teams combined for 121 points, and visiting Del Campo came away with a 64-57 triple-overtime win over No. 19 Roseville as Cougars quarterback Ben Purcell threw three touchdowns passes. That game, and more as The Bee’s Joe Davidson highlights the weekend action.
▪ Who should earn Prep Football Player of the Week honors? Inderkum’s Trajon Cotton? Antelope’s Elijah Dotson? Pioneer’s Elijah Fields? Bear River’s Jason Voter? Colfax’s Austin Weir? Voting ends Thursday at noon.
▪ No. 1 Folsom extends regular-season winning streak with its win over No. 5 Granite Bay.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
▪ Prep football roundup: Pleasant Grove shocks No. 11 Jesuit. How did The Bee’s other ranked teams fare?
Los Angeles beats bitter rival Republic FC 1-0 in Saturday night’s USL Western Conference playoff opener at Bonney Field. Bryan Olivera’s penalty kick in the 13th minute eventually spells the end of the defending USL champion’s season in front of another raucous crowd, an announced sellout of 11,442.
Giants outfielder Jarrett Parker hits three home runs and has seven RBIs in a 14-10 win over the host A’s on Saturday in a game that was supposed to be a showcase for former teammates Tim Hudson and Barry Zito facing each other as starters for the final time. But mostly it was Parker treating the A’s pitching staff as his personal batting-practice pitchers.
▪ The Bee’s Ailene Voisin says the A’s and Giants allow Barry Zito and Tim Hudson to enjoy a proper curtain call.
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL LINKS
Vice president and general manager Vlade Divac discusses his hiring, offseason changes, what he expects from the team this season, and his philosophy of acquiring players with a history of winning.
Yes, it’s early, but there may be cause for concern about the 49ers’ inability to convert in the red zone. Three clock-eating drives last week – of 18, 17 and 15 plays – produced just one field goal. So who will be the 49ers’ red-zone resource when the team meets the Cardinals Sunday?
Jordan West throws for 491 yards and three touchdowns as Eastern Washington rallies to defeat Sacramento State 28-20 Saturday night at Hornet Stadium in the Big Sky Conference opener for both teams.
▪ North Dakota’s John Santiago rushes for a career 152 yards and scores two touchdowns in a 31-24 win over still winless UC Davis.
Stats, scores and schedules are now easier to find and richer than before at sacbee.com/sports. While browsing stories about your favorite teams and sports, you’ll have access to the latest results and can dive deeper into the numbers, a couple clicks away.
View the day’s box scores, latest standings and more coverage in The Sacramento Bee e-Edition.
Plan your daily sports viewing with the latest TV listings.