Sacramento Kings

Former Sacramento King Tyler Honeycutt found dead after standoff with LAPD

Former Sacramento King Tyler Honeycutt found dead after standoff with LAPD

After a nine hour standoff with LAPD Tyler Honeycutt was found dead.
Up Next
After a nine hour standoff with LAPD Tyler Honeycutt was found dead.

Former Sacramento King Tyler Honeycutt was found dead Saturday morning after a nine-hour standoff with the Los Angeles Police Department in Sherman Oaks.

The LAPD responded to a call about 5:10 p.m. Friday about a man with a gun outside of a residence, said LAPD spokesperson Tony Im. While officers were communicating with the person, he fired a gun from inside the residence, Im said. The officers returned fire, and the man barricaded himself inside the home.

For several hours, officers believed the man was alive, according to the LAPD’s Twitter account.

Hours later, the SWAT officers entered the home and found the man, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Family members have identified the suspect as Honeycutt, according to multiple news outlets in Los Angeles. On Saturday, his former EuroLeague team Khimki in Moscow confirmed his death.

The 6-foot-8 Sylmar native as a sophomore at UCLA was named the team's co-MVP and was a first-team Pacific-10 Conference player before declaring for the 2011 NBA draft.

The Kings drafted Honeycutt in the second round (35th overall) along with Isaiah Thomas (60th) and Jimmer Fredette, the first-round pick (10th) who was acquired in a three-way trade with Milwaukee and Charlotte.

Honeycutt appeared in 24 games off the bench over two seasons, averaging 1.2 points and one rebound. He was often shuttled between the Kings lineup and their development team in Reno.

In February 2013, the small forward was part of a six-player trade that also sent Thomas Robinson and Francisco Garcia to the Houston Rockets for Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich and Toney Douglas. A month later, Honeycutt was waived.

He went on to play several seasons in Israel and Europe, winning the EuroCup championship with Khimki in Moscow in 2015.

Current and former Kings and UCLA players weighed in on his death via social media Saturday:

Bort Escoto, who coached Honeycutt for four years at Sylmar High School, told the Los Angeles Times that he had been in contact with Honeycutt and his mother about 4 p.m. Friday and that it “seemed like he was burdened with something.”

According to the Times, Escoto said Honeycutt’s mother called him later and told him her son was acting erratically and he advised her to call 911.

Escoto said he continued to text Honeycutt after he was barricaded in the Sherman Oaks home to ask whether he was OK, and he would respond simply with the letter “K.” He said he later learned about reports that Honeycutt shot at officers between 7 and 7:30 p.m.

At 4:45 a.m. Saturday, Escoto told the Times that Honeycutt’s mother called him and told him that her son taken his own life.

“I felt he’s not built to go to jail,” Escoto said. “But I don’t see him ending his life either.”

Escoto told the Times that he had spoken to Honeycutt in recent days and “thought everything was fine.” He said Honeycutt was playing basketball in Russia in the Eastern European Professional Basketball League and was having a hard time adjusting to life in a foreign country.

“It’s hard for an L.A. kid to go to Russia, not know the language or surroundings,” he said.

According to the Times, Honeycutt was supposed to sign a new contract on Saturday with either Russia or Israel.

The Los Angeles Times contributed to this report.
Related stories from Sacramento Bee