Homelessness

How are Sacramento and the state tackling homelessness? The most recent efforts

Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • Sacramento proposes four new homeless sites including three fee-based tiny home communities.
  • City enforcement removed long-standing homeless encampment at City Hall in July 2025.
  • Sacramento faces 40% cut in state homelessness funding, impacting prevention services.

Homelessness continues to be one of the most pressing issues facing the Sacramento region — the Institute for Social Research’s new survey of 1,750 residents shows that they not only care deeply about the subject, but are frustrated by what they see as a lack of action by elected officials. Tuesday, the Sacramento City Council addresses the proposal for four new locations for homeless people, as well as tiny homes with fees.

The proposal is the most recent local effort. California just concluded its legislative session with bills related to homelessness and housing. We have been covering the actions on both fronts. To catch up, here’s a guide with links to our the most recent coverage:

Tiny homes, fees

The City Council at 5 p.m. Tuesday will take up the proposal.

Headline: Sacramento proposes new homeless sites that would charge fees. Where are they?

From the story: “Sacramento leaders will consider four new locations for homeless people, including three tiny home communities designated for seniors at a monthly fee. ​The sites — proposed at four vacant lots in different neighborhoods — would provide a place to sleep for about 220 people. Three of the locations would be interim housing “micro-communities” with about 40 tiny home units, 24-hour security, bathrooms and communal gathering spaces.”

Also: Sacramento to build 135 tiny homes. McCarty calls it ‘future’ of homeless approach

Sacramento mayor threatened to put homeless camps in councilmember’s district

Homeless outside City Hall

The homeless were banned at the end of July from sleeping outside City Hall, ending a six-year exemption. Once the ban went into effect, the question remained, where would they go?

Gary Kelly, 68, who suffers from incontinence and says shelters ask him to leave, prepares his tent outside Sacramento City Hall on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2025, not knowing where he would go after a city ordinance banning sleeping at the building took effect the next day. He and his partner of nine years had been sleeping there for the past year. He said they regularly call 211, the region's primary homeless services number, with no results.
Gary Kelly, 68, who suffers from incontinence and says shelters ask him to leave, prepares his tent outside Sacramento City Hall on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2025, not knowing where he would go after a city ordinance banning sleeping at the building took effect the next day. He and his partner of nine years had been sleeping there for the past year. He said they regularly call 211, the region's primary homeless services number, with no results. RENÉE C. BYER rbyer@sacbee.com

Headline: Sacramento promised shelter options to City Hall sleepers. Why are many unhoused?

From the story: “...roughly 20 homeless people who had spent nights spread across the property ... didn’t have housing by Thursday, according to interviews with city staff and more than a dozen homeless people. The gap comes despite promises by city leaders to offer housing to each person who regularly slept near the building when the City Council passed the ordinance last month. Under the new policy, people are prohibited from sitting, lying down or sleeping outside City Hall during all hours of the day. Violations could carry penalties ranging from $250 to $25,000.”

Also: Sacramento bans homeless sleeping at City Hall despite community pleas

Mayor, councilmember dispute

Sacramento Mayor Kevin McCarty apologized for threatening to put homeless encampments in Coucilmember Mai Vang’s district because she opposed banning people sleeping outside City Hall.

Sacramento Mayor Kevin McCarty rubs his head on Tuesday, July 29, 2025, as he listens to people speak against a Sacramento City Council ordinance to ban homeless individuals from sleeping overnight outside City Hall. The ban passed.
Sacramento Mayor Kevin McCarty rubs his head on Tuesday, July 29, 2025, as he listens to people speak against a Sacramento City Council ordinance to ban homeless individuals from sleeping overnight outside City Hall. The ban passed. RENÉE C. BYER rbyer@sacbee.com

Headline: Sacramento mayor threatened to put homeless camps in councilmember’s district

From the story: “Vang, in her email, said McCarty returned a short time later after his initial comment and added, ‘Hey, I was only trying to be cute.’ ‘Your behavior during this interaction left me feeling uncomfortable and crossed the line of professional decorum and mutual respect that should define our work environment as colleagues,’ Vang wrote to McCarty in a July 2 email obtained through a public records request. “While we may not always agree, we need to be able to work together, and I will not tolerate threats of retaliation because I voted differently than you did.’”

Decrease in funding

Sacramento is expected to receive 40% less than the year before in from the state Homeless Housing, Assistance and Prevention grants.

Some of the 135 tiny homes under construction at the City of Sacramento’s Roseville Road Shelter-and-Service Campus on Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025.
Some of the 135 tiny homes under construction at the City of Sacramento’s Roseville Road Shelter-and-Service Campus on Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025. HECTOR AMEZCUA hamezcua@sacbee.com

Headline: Sacramento slated for $16 million in homeless funding. How will it be used?

From the story: “The funding reduction, which is tied to the county’s Point-in-Time Count, comes from the latest installment of state Homeless Housing, Assistance and Prevention grants. Sacramento is expected to receive about $16 million from the grant — 40% less than the year before....the city would eliminate the $2 million previously slated for prevention services.”

State bills

Local jurisdictions would not be able to prevent people handing out food and other materials to aid the homeless.

Crystal Sanchez, founder and president of the Sacramento Homeless Union a local chapter of the National Homeless Union, passed out water to Dawn Wainscott, 43, on Sunday July 7, 2024. Wainscott who came with three little dogs, one visible, was wearing no shoes as she gathered the water for an encampment on the levee.
Crystal Sanchez, founder and president of the Sacramento Homeless Union a local chapter of the National Homeless Union, passed out water to Dawn Wainscott, 43, on Sunday July 7, 2024. Wainscott who came with three little dogs, one visible, was wearing no shoes as she gathered the water for an encampment on the levee. Renée C. Byer rbyer@sacbee.com

Headline: California passes homelessness-related bills, await decision from Newsom

From the story: “Senate Bill 634, introduced by state Sen. Sasha Renée Pérez, D-Alhambra, came in response to concerns that local governments were more forcefully cracking down on homelessness in their communities following a U.S. Supreme Court decision last year. The ruling in the City of Grants Pass v. Johnson case said enforcing anti-camping laws was not a form of cruel and unusual punishment.”

Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW